hey there -- i'm megan and welcome to my stop on the Festival of Hexagons blog hop hosted by Ali of a squared w! if you are new to Canoe Ridge Creations, i hope you take a second to look around and find some inspiration to create something wonderful yourself. sharing my creations + inspiring others to create is what it's all about!
today i've got a fun + fast tutorial to share with you all -- the hexagon coaster tutorial. this diy project is beginner friendly and a great scrap buster too. let's get started!
- 6" x 6" batting
- 6" x 6" backing fabric
- one 1 3/4" hexagon (remember -- hexagon size refers to the measurement along 1 side, not the measurement through the center of the hexagon)
- six 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" rectangles
1. place one 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" rectangle on top of the 1 3/4" hexagon, right sides together (RST). pin as pictured above, leaving 1/2" (on the left side) unpinned.
2. using a 1/4" seam allowance stitch between the pins. make sure to backstitch at the beginning and at the end.
5. continue your way around the hexagon unit until you have one edge remaining.
6. place the last 1 1/2" x 3 1/3" rectangle on the remaining side, RST. making sure to fold the starting rectangle out of the way. stitch using a 1/4" seam allowance.
7. press seam outward and trim excess ends.
8. lay the un-sewn portion rectangle on top of the hexagon unit, RST. stitch using a 1/4", sewing the remainder of the strip.
9. press seam outward and trim the excess strip end.
10. layer the 6" x 6" square of batting on top of the 6" x 6" backing fabric, on top of the hexagon unit, RST.
11. using a 1/4" seam allowance, stitch around 5 sides of the hexagon unit. be sure to backstitch at the beginning and at the end of the seam. leaving the 6th side of the hexagon unit un-sewn (open).
14. top stitch 1/8" around the entire coaster.
and done! if you use this tutorial, i'd love to see your coasters -- please share them in the CRC flickr group. be sure to also check out the other great projects + tutorials shared during the Festival of Hexagons blog hop!
Monday, Aug. 13
Ali from a²(w)
Tuesday, Aug. 14
Amanda from A Crafty Fox
Wednesday, Aug. 15
Kelly from Kelbysews
Thursday, Aug. 16
Terri from Sew Fantastic
Friday, Aug. 17
Jeni from In Color Order
Monday, Aug. 20
Lindsey from LRStitched
Tuesday, Aug. 21
Kati from From The Blue Chair
Wednesday, Aug. 22
Michelle from Super Orange Sewing (formerly I Like Orange, Too)
Thursday, Aug. 23
Sara from Sew Sweetness
Friday, Aug. 24
Megan from Canoe Ridge Creations <--- you are here! :)
Saturday, Aug. 25
Aug. 27 - Sept. 2
Sept. 3 - Sept. 5
Friday, Sept. 7
have a wonderful weekend!